Urban Forestry Roundtables
Trees Virginia organizes one-day quarterly “roundtables for professional arborists, planners, engineers, landscape architects, tree stewards and all interested citizens throughout Virginia at various times during the year. These Urban Forestry Roundtables bring together our community to exchange ideas, present news, discuss issues, listen to presentations and further educate our community about trees and the important roll they fulfill in our society.
There is a $5.00 registration fee for everyone for the NOVA Roundtables; $15.00 if you would like us to order lunch for you. There is no cost to participants for the Hampton Roads Urban Forest Roundtables.
Upcoming Roundtable Events
May 19, 2017 NOVA Roundtable
05-19-2017 9:30 am
Prince William County Government Center
June 13, 2017 Southeast Virginia Urban Forest Roundtable
06-13-2017 9:00 am
Hampton Roads Agricultural and Research and Education Center
2017 Urban Forest Roundtables
Many thanks to Wetlands Studies and Solutions LLC for hosting the February 23, 2017 Roundtable!
Now Available! Presentations from the February 23, 2017: "Undergrounding Utilities While Preserving Trees Above is Possible"!
- Planning and Protection of Trees with Underground Utilities - Vincent Verweij, Arlington County Urban Forester
- Trumbull Street Sewer Separation - Cary Hulse, Wetlands Studies and Solutions LLC
- Save Your Tree and Replace a Sewer Line: Trenchless Sewer Repair - Jim McGlone, Virginia Department of Forestry
- Strategic Underground Program - Clay Kassabian, Dominion Power
2016 NOVA Urban Forestry Roundtables
December 8, 2016: "Home Owner's Associations: Strategies to Increase Tree Canopy"
- Trees and HOAs - Paul Jeannin, PDSI
- HOAs - Strategies to Increase Tree Canopy - Chris Fields-Johnson, The Davey Institute
- Working with HOA: "Sudlley Place Townhome Association Reforestation Project" - Julia Flanagan
August 30, 2016: "Forest Health Challenges: Locality Planning and Response
- Lessons from the Gypsy Moth Campaigns: Troy Shaw, Urban Forester, Fairfax County
- Urban Foresters Respond to the Emerald Ash Borer and Retrospective Wishes: Steve Seeba, City of Manassas, John Dudzinsky, City of Herndon, Vincent Verweij; Arlington County
- Can the Future be Brighter Through Planning: An Ohio ALB Case Study: Rachel Griesmer-Zakhar, Fairfax County Forest Pest Management
- The Fall Cankerworm Story, A Case Study in Public Outreach and IPM: Joan Allen, Urban Forester, Fairfax County
- Wastewood Utilization from Chronic Forest Health Issues: Steve Bratkovich, Dovetail Partners
May 26, 2016: "Sustainable SITES Initiative: A New Tool for Urban Forestry?
- SITES Speaker Contact List
- All About SITES and the Urban Forest: Robert Goo presentation
- SITES Project 1: The Washington Canal Park: Rebecca Popowsky presentation
- SITES Project 2: Anacostia Watershed Society Headquarters: Jo-Elle Burgard presentation
- SITES Project 3: The School of Internation Service at American University: Michale Mastrota presentation
February 25, 2016: "Building Better Urban Soil: Soil Amendments"
- Soil Amendment Research: Gregory Mazur and Brian Jeffers presentation
- Myths and Science of Biosolids Use: Gregory Evanylo presentation
- Improving Urban Soils with Biosolids in NOVA: Bill Brower presentation
- Bio Char: What We Know Now: Chris Fields-Johnson presentation
November 5, 2015 NOVA Conference: "Healthy Soils for Healthy Trees"
- Welcome and Introduction
- Susan Day Presentation - Land Development and Construction
- Joe Gorney Presentation - The Legislative Process: or "How I Learned to Love My Policies"
- Matthew Stephens Presentation - The Dirty Truth to Great Soil
- Dan Schwartz Presentation - Soils and Urbanization
2015 NOVA Urban Forestry Roundtables
September 11, 2015: "Root Appreciation Day" - many thanks for Prince William County Government for co-sponsoring this Roundtable!
May 27, 2015: "Obtaining Quality Trees: What We Need to Know"
- Matthew Landes Presentation: "Defining Quality: How to Write Contract Specification to Obtain the Best Tree Specimens for Your Project
- Jay Banks Presentation: "Quality of Landscape Material"
February 26, 2015: "Preserving Mature Trees"
- Pitchford Associates Presentation: "Biophysical Limitations and Practices Involved with Tree Preservation"
2015 Hampton Roads Urban Forestry Roundtables
- AGENDA for April 16, 2015 at HRAREC, 1444 Diamond Springs Road, Virginia Beach VA 23455
- August 13, 2015 at Hampton Roads Planning District Commission, 723 Woodlake Drive, Chesapeake 23320
- CANCELLED: December 1, 2015 at Hampton Roads Planning District Commission, 723 Woodlake Drive, Chesapeake VA 23320
2014 NOVA Urban Forestry Roundtables
November 20, 2014: "Combating Climate Change Effects on Urban Forests with Landscape Diversity"
September 5, 2014: "Soil Volume for Urban Tree Stress Reduction and Stormwater Management
- View Agenda
- Making Room for Urban Trees, Shirley Vaughn, Davey Resource Group
- Mosaic Park: Designing for Soil Space Enhancement and Improved Irrigation for Trees, Lauren Brandes, Senior Associate, Oculus
- Capital Trees Partnerships, Susan Robertson, Capital Trees
Comments from an attendee of the September 5, 2014 NOVA Roundtable:
"The workshop was exceptionally informative with experts presenting information in a skilled and useful manner. The food and refreshments were of excellent quality. The roundtable was well-organized and the small booklets were of exceptional quality in their design, layout and information."
2014 Hampton Roads Urban Forestry Roundtables
- March 27, 2014 (Thursday) Click here for agenda
- July 29, 2014 (Tuesday)
- November 13, 2014 (Thursday) - MEETING CANCELLED
2013 NOVA Urban Forestry Roundtables
August 22, 2013: "Storm Water Management and Urban Forest Conservation Through Stream Channel Redesign" Fairfax VA
- View the AGENDA
- Donaldson Run Streambank Tree Planting Summary - Vincent Verweij
- Donaldson Run Stream Restoration - Jason Papacosma
- NOVA Roundtable Updates
- Stormwater Management and Urban Forest Conservation Through Stream Channel Redesign - Jim McGlone
- Case Study: Wolftrap Creek in Vienna, Virginia
May 23, 2013: "New Nuts and Bolts of Urban Forestry" in Arlington Virginia
February 28, 2013: "Urban Forest Watershed" in Falls Church Virginia
- See the AGENDA here
- Trees and Stormwater - Vincent Verweij
- Trees for the Bay - Jim McGlone
- Watersheds as Urban Forest Management Tracts - Mike Knapp